Agenda item - BH20200/00961, Nile House, Nile Street, Brighton- Full Planning
navigation and tools
You are here - Home : Council and Democracy : Councillors and Committees : Agenda item
BH20200/00961, Nile House, Nile Street, Brighton- Full Planning
RECOMMENDATION – MINDED TO GRANT
Ward Affected: Regency
Formation of additional level to create office space (B1) incorporating replacement roof plant, reinstatement of chimney, balustrade terrace to West elevation, installation of solar panels and associated works.
(1) It was noted that an in-depth presentation had been provided by officers in advance of the meeting and was included on the council website detailing the scheme by reference to site plans, elevational drawings and photographs which also showed the proposed scheme in the context of neighbouring development. The main considerations in determining the application related to the principle of development, design and appearance, heritage impact on amenity, highways and sustainability issues. Overall the scheme was considered acceptable and it was recommended minded to grant.
Questions of Officers
(2) Councillor Littman noted that the previous scheme had been refused and sought clarification regarding amendments which had been made which overcame the previous reasons for refusal. The Planning Team Leader, Policy Projects and Heritage, Tim Jefferies explained that the current application had a simplified roof form and the roof terrace had been reduced and set back. The roof structure was more modest than previously and was no longer visible in the street scene and was therefore considered to be acceptable. There had been no objection to the proposal in principle and any potential detrimental impact had been addressed.
Debate and Decision Making Process
(4) Councillors Miller and Yates concurred stating that this scheme represented a significant improvement on that which had been put forward previously.
(5) A vote was taken and the .8 Members of the Committee who were present when the vote was taken voted unanimously that minded to grant approval be given.
17.5 RESOLVED – That the Committee has taken into consideration and agrees with the reasons for the recommendation set out in the report and resolves to be MINDED TO GRANT planning permission subject to satisfactory amended plans, a s106 agreement on the Heads of Terms and Conditions and Informatives, also set out in the report SAVE THAT should the s106 Planning Obligation not be completed on or before 30 September 2020 the Head of Planning is hereby authorised to refuse planning permission for the reasons set out in section 9.1 of the report.
Note: Councillor Henry was not present during consideration of the above application.
- Header BH2020 00961 - Nile House Nile Street, item 6E PDF 22 KB
- Plan BH2020 00961 - Nile House Nile Street, item 6E PDF 351 KB
- Report BH2020 00961 - Nile House Nile Street, item 6E PDF 100 KB
- BH2020 00961 - 62 Nile House Nile Street final (003), item 6E PDF 3 MB