Agenda item - BH2020/03236 - Block C, 101-120 Kingsmere, London Road, Brighton
navigation and tools
You are here - Home : Council and Democracy : Councillors and Committees : Agenda item
BH2020/03236 - Block C, 101-120 Kingsmere, London Road, Brighton
1. The Planning Manager introduced the application.
2. Objection speech from Ms Eden read by Democratic Services officer:
I wish to voice my objection to the removal of Condition 5 from this application. There are currently 120 flats on the Kingsmere Estate and space for residents’ parking (including garages) is already inadequate. Some residents are having to find parking in adjacent streets which is becoming increasingly difficult and is likely to become more so with the introduction of the Surrenden CPZ which will include the Council owned land/road at the front of Kingsmere. The Council has given prior approval to the construction of another 54 flats on the estate. I consider this to be an overdevelopment of an already crowded site. The provision of any additional parking space for the occupants of these new flats would lead to the destruction and unacceptable loss of most of the beautiful green space which residents have enjoyed for over 40 years and which is an irreplaceable and much valued amenity especially in the lockdown restrictions of the past year. I understand that the Council has agreed to remove Condition 5 on all the other blocks at Kingsmere but nevertheless I urge the Planning Committee to reject this application for C Block and reconsider doing the same for the entire estate.
3. Laura Bourke addressed the committee as the applicant’s agent and stated that the condition appeared to have been attached to the planning permission in error. It was noted that a controlled parking zone (CPZ) was not in place in the area. Other blocks of flats in the location have had the condition removed. The condition should be relevant to the scheme and reasonable. The condition is not necessary please remove.
Questions to officers
4. Councillor Ebel was informed by the case officer that the decision could not wait for the CPZ to be introduced in the area and we have a duty to determine applications in a timely manner
5. A vote was taken, and the committee agreed by a vote of 9 with one abstention that the application be granted.
6. RESOVLED: That the Committee has taken into consideration and agrees with the reasons for the recommendation set out in the report and resolves to GRANT planning permission subject to the conditions and informatives set out in the report.
- Header BH2020 03236 - Block C 101-120 Kingsmere, item 102G PDF 22 KB View as HTML (102G/1) 3 KB
- BH2020-03236 Block C 101-120 Kingsmere, item 102G PDF 331 KB
- Report BH2020 03236 - Block C 101-120 Kingsmere, item 102G PDF 153 KB View as HTML (102G/3) 49 KB
- BH2020-03091 - Block C 101-120 Kingsmere, item 102G PDF 653 KB