Agenda item - BH2020/03745 - Sussex County Cricket Ground, Eaton Road, Hove BN3 3AN - Variation of Condition
navigation and tools
You are here - Home : Council and Democracy : Councillors and Committees : Agenda item
BH2020/03745 - Sussex County Cricket Ground, Eaton Road, Hove BN3 3AN - Variation of Condition
The Planning Manager introduced the report and gave a detailed presentation using enhanced visuals.
Questions of Officers
Councillor Henry sought clarification as to whether the hours of operation of the new public house were the same as those of the previous establishment on site.
3. Councillor Theobald raised the same question as her recollection was that the pub previously on site had ceased operation at an earlier hour. Her concern was that allowing for clearing up post closure the premises would close far later. There would also be a number of residences in closer proximity to the new development including the flats above. The Environmental Health Officer had reviewed the proposed opening hours and had raised no objections, given that they were the same of those of the previous public house and would align with those of other nearby licensed premises.
4. The Planning Manager explained that the exterior terrace had to be cleared by 10.30pm and that a condition of grant had been that the flats located above were required to have an adequate level of soundproofing, this would be 30% above the level required under Building Control regulations.
5. Councillor Shanks enquired regarding parking control arrangements, whether the development would be car free and whether the site now fell within a controlled parking zone. It was confirmed that it was no longer considered appropriate for the Local Planning Authority to impose the car free condition because parking in the local area and limiting the issue of parking permits was already covered through the management of the Controlled Parking Zone. Condition 65 would therefore be removed from the current permission.
6. Councillor Henry stated that he supported the officer recommendation. Residents were used to a pub operating in the area and those buying flats above would be aware of the public house use and its hours of operation.
7. Councillor Fishleigh stated that she considered that the terminal hour of 10.30pm for use of the terrace was late. It was explained however that as this had been agreed by the earlier permission it would not be considered reasonable to amend that.
8. Councillor Theobald raised the same point and had concerns that noise from events could result in noise nuisance to the flats above the new premises. Councillor Theobald was advised that the hours of operation of the terrace were the same as those associated with the previous use and had not resulted in complaints or problems.
9. Councillor Janio stated that the proposed variation was reasonable and supported it.
10. Councillor Osborne considered that the proposal which would only be for an additional hour of operation would be acceptable.
11. Councillor Littman, the Chair, stated that he had noted that there would be superior soundproofing and that Environmental had raised no objections.
12. A vote was taken, and the Committee voted unanimously that planning permission be granted.
124.1 RESOLVED – That the Committee has taken into consideration and agrees with the reasons for the recommendation set out in the report and resolves to GRANT planning permission subject to the conditions and informatives also set out in the report.
- Header BH2020 03745 - Sussex County Cricket Ground, item 124A PDF 17 KB View as HTML (124A/1) 3 KB
- Plan BH2020 03745 - Sussex County Cricket Ground, item 124A PDF 322 KB
- Report BH2020 03745 - Sussex County Cricket Ground, item 124A PDF 203 KB View as HTML (124A/3) 205 KB
- Application ABH2020 03745 - Sussex County Cricket Ground FINAL, item 124A PDF 999 KB