Agenda item - BH2021/00528 - Grange Court, 91 Payne Avenue, Hove - Full Planning
navigation and tools
You are here - Home : Council and Democracy : Councillors and Committees : Agenda item
BH2021/00528 - Grange Court, 91 Payne Avenue, Hove - Full Planning
1. The Planning Manager introduced the application and gave a presentation by reference to enhanced visuals.
2. Mr Walker spoke in objection to the application. The proposed form of development located as it would be in a cul-de-sac would be too high and was unsympathetic to the neighbouring street scene which was characterised by Victorian dwelling houses. There were also concerns in respect of the proposed waste collection and recycling arrangements which did not appear to have the infrastructure to support them.
3. Councillor Nemeth spoke in objection his capacity as a Local Ward Councillor. The character of Poet’s Corner in which the site was situated was of narrow 2 storey buildings with pitched roofs. The Maynard’s Sweet factory building was exceptional, permission for an additional storey to that building had been rejected and all other recent development in the area had been low rise and modest. A building which was lower in height with aa pitched roof could be acceptable but the proposed scheme would be an overdevelopment.
4. Mr Stern spoke on behalf of the applicants in support of their application. The applicant had worked closely with Officers in order to bring forward an acceptable scheme which was modest and would provide an attractive building. It should also be noted that some of the building works could be carried out as permitted development and did not require planning permission.
5. Councillor Theobald stated that in her view as most of the neighbouring buildings were of two storeys in height with pitched roofs this development by virtue of its height and flat roof would be at variance with the neighbouring street scene and represented overdevelopment. No further issues were raised and the Committee then moved to the vote.
6. A vote was taken and on a vote of 7 to 1 with 1 abstention planning permission was granted.
133.7 RESOLVED – That the Committee has taken into consideration and agrees with the reasons for the recommendation set out in the report and resolves to GRANT planning permission subject to the Conditions and Informatives also set out in the report.
- Header BH2021 00528 - Grange Court 91 Payne Avenue, item 133G PDF 22 KB View as HTML (133G/1) 3 KB
- Plan BH2021 00528 - Grange Court 91 Payne Avenue, item 133G PDF 253 KB
- Report BH2021 00528 - Grange Court 91 Payne Avenue, item 133G PDF 78 KB View as HTML (133G/3) 71 KB
- Cllr rep G. PeltzerDunn BH2021 00528 - Grange Court 91 Payne Avenue, item 133G PDF 143 KB View as HTML (133G/4) 3 KB
- Cllr rep R. Nemeth BH2021 00528 - Grange Court 91 Payne Avenue, item 133G PDF 231 KB View as HTML (133G/5) 5 KB
- Item G - BH2021-00528 Grange Court addnl storey, item 133G PDF 2 MB