Agenda item - Public Art Strategy
navigation and tools
You are here - Home : Council and Democracy : Councillors and Committees : Agenda item
Public Art Strategy
- Meeting of Tourism, Equalities, Communities & Culture Committee, Thursday, 25th November, 2021 4.00pm (Item 46.)
- View the background to item 46.
Report of the Executive Director for Economy, Environment, and Culture (Copy Attached).
RESOLVED: That the Committee approves the Council’s Public Art Strategy which is attached as appendix one. Following approval, the strategy would be professionally designed.
46.1 Synthia Griffin introduced the report starting on page 117 of the Agenda.
46.2 Councillor Ebel commented that Hove Plinth is an excellent example of public art and should be included in the toolkit as a case study of good public art.
46.3 Councillor Simson was informed that:
· The artist who proposed the Angel of the South was turned away due to lack of experience with large public art pieces, and hadn’t thought in detail about site specificity.
· A meeting can be created to consult councillors in more detail about the public art strategy.
46.4 Councillor Brown was informed that the timeframe for the welcome signage would be Autumn 2022.
46.5 Councillor Childs was informed that the 1930’s Art Deco column on the A23 would be given consideration in future for complimentary artwork near to it when there is more budget.
46.6 Councillor Rainey commented that public art is beneficial in many ways to the city and that the Public Art Strategy was a positive thing.
46.7 Councillor Osborne commented that the public art scene is prominent in Brighton including the murals, coloured houses, lighting next to the Brighton Station, and other visitor attractions, and asked if there was any resource in the Council to engage more with residents and have more briefings.
RESOLVED: That the Committee approved the Council’s Public Art Strategy which is attached as appendix one. Following approval, the strategy would be professionally designed.
- Public Art Strategy, item 46. PDF 207 KB View as HTML (46./1) 29 KB
- Public Art Strategy APX. n 2, item 46. PDF 2 MB View as HTML (46./2) 191 KB