Agenda item - Anti-Racism Pledge Update
navigation and tools
You are here - Home : Council and Democracy : Councillors and Committees : Agenda item
Anti-Racism Pledge Update
- Meeting of Tourism, Equalities, Communities & Culture Committee, Thursday, 25th November, 2021 4.00pm (Item 45.)
- View the background to item 45.
Report of the Executive Director for Housing, Neighbourhoods, and Communities (Copy Attached).
RESOLVED: That the Committee notes the report.
45.1 Emma McDermott introduced the report starting on page 111 of the Agenda.
A minute silence was held at 6PM for the recently drowned refugees.
45.2 Stephanie Prior was informed:
· Acronyms are constantly evolving, with plans to move away from BME in favour of more specific acronyms.
· The Racial Harassment forum are currently working with Housing to update their anti-social behaviour policy to accommodate racially motivated behaviour.
· The diversity talent programme is aimed at increasing the amount of diverse talent on all levels of the authority so that it doesn’t wane as much the higher levels you get to.
Stephanie Prior commented that the acronym BME is vague as it includes White Irish, and the Council needs to be more specific.
45.3 Councillor Grimshaw advised that the BME acronym be dropped altogether in the meantime.
45.4 Councillor Childs asked if the diverse talent program could be widened to include school staff. Emma McDermott confirmed that she would take this away, report back, and make sure the HR lead was informed regarding school diversity.
45.5 Councillor Osborne asked if participants on the Diverse Talent Development Programme would complete their work during work hours. Emma McDermott confirmed that she would double check about this issue.
RESOLVED: That the Committee noted the report.