Agenda item - BH2021/03900 - Rockwater, Kingsway, Hove - Full Planning
navigation and tools
You are here - Home : Council and Democracy : Councillors and Committees : Agenda item
BH2021/03900 - Rockwater, Kingsway, Hove - Full Planning
1. The Planning Manager introduced the application to the committee.
2. Ward Councillor Henry sent a statement to be read to the committee: “I’m writing on behalf of myself and Carmen Appich, as the Ward councillors for Westbourne Ward and Peter Kyle MP, as the MP for Hove. We would like the feedback we have received from the local community regarding the Rockwater shacks to be considered when considering the application to extend their life.
Although the shacks were created as a response to Covid and the lockdowns and provided an invaluable service for hot drinks which was greatly appreciated by the community at the time, it is undeniable that they have now evolved into a ‘feature’ of the Hove seafront and – crucially – remain loved and well used by walkers, joggers, dog walkers and visitors alike.
The three of us in our community roles have spent the last few months talking to users of the shacks, local residents and visitors alike and the feedback is overwhelmingly positive. The shacks now facilitate a range of health & wellbeing activities on this stretch of Hove. People meditating, doing yoga, walking their dog, jogging or walking hugely appreciate the ability to obtain a refreshment.
Comments have ranged from “they are a convenient pit stop” to “they look great and improve the look of the promenade” to “I use them as a reason to get out the house and walk”.
Whilst there were problems with queues at their initial opening, we now observe a well-run queuing system that no longer creates a bottle-neck and is calm and friendly.
We would therefore appreciate the Committee taking into account our feedback and the views of the residents on Hove when considering the application to extend their fixture on the front and hope you can agree with the report and approve this application.”
Answers to Committee Member Questions
3. Councillor Theobald was informed that although the service counter was high, wheelchair users would be assisted.
4. The Conservation Advisory Group representative was informed by the case officer that the temporary permission for 3 years was acceptable. The applicant had requested a 3 year permission, and this was considered acceptable by the Heritage Team.
5. Councillor Shanks was informed by the Senior Solicitor that the application history would be looked at to see what has gone before and the submitted application should be looked at in light of the relevant circumstances when the application comes before the committee.
6. Councillor Fishleigh proposed that the service hatch be lowered to wheelchair users by condition. Councillor Yates seconded the proposal.
7. Councillor Theobald considered the shacks had been great through lockdown and had no objections. The councillor agreed it would be good to lower the service hatch.
8. Councillor Yates noted this was a valued part of Hove seafront and the proposals were not significantly detrimental and was a good redevelopment.
9. Councillor Hugh-Jones supported the application.
10. Councillor Fishleigh did not support the application. The councillor asked that Rockwater talk to disability groups.
11. Councillor Shanks considered there was no reason to refuse the application.
12. A vote was taken on the condition to lower the service hatch. Proposed by Councillor Fishleigh and seconded by Councillor Yates. The condition was agreed unanimously.
13. A vote was taken, and by 5 to 1 the committee agreed to grant planning permission.
14. RESOLVED: That the Committee has taken into consideration and agrees with the reasons for the recommendation set out in the report and resolves to GRANT planning permission subject to the Conditions and Informatives in the report.
- Header BH2021 03900 - Rockwater Kingsway, item 76F PDF 22 KB
- Plan BH2021 03900 - Rockwater Kingsway, item 76F PDF 199 KB
- Report BH2021 03900 - Rockwater Kingsway, item 76F PDF 145 KB
- Item F - BH2021 03900 - Rockwater Kingsway (partially copied from Jun21), item 76F PDF 1 MB