Decisions for issue Beach Chalet Letting Policy
navigation and tools
You are here - Home : Council and Democracy : Councillors and Committees : Issue
Issue - decisions
Beach Chalet Letting Policy
RESOLVED – That Committee:
1. (subject to further consideration of the legal, financial and practical implications of the proposal in a future report) indefinite agreements for beach chalets should be phased out over a period of 8 years starting from the lifting of lockdown restrictions and all future agreements will be as per the fixed term agreements.
2. Approves bringing indefinite agreements to an end as soon as is practically possible for beach chalets for those that do not reside in Brighton & Hove in accordance with the terms and conditions of the licence agreement.
3. Agrees that annual checks are carried out to ensure that all existing and future fixed-term licence agreements remain with residents of Brighton & Hove.
4. Agrees for a further report to identify locations for to be the provision of additional beach chalets and beach huts along the seafront including less well visited parts to help regenerate those areas, in particular the area east of the Palace Pier.
5. Agrees the report also explores options to finance the building of additional beach chalets or beach huts to rent or to purchase.
6. Agrees the report also identifies how beach huts and chalet income east of the Palace Pier could support additional borrowing and regeneration of Madeira Terraces and contribute to the wider area’s regeneration and renewal.
7. Agrees the report considers retaining one or more beach chalets in future, from either existing stock freed up by new lease arrangements or new stock, as short term lets for community event use.